Thursday, April 12, 2007

Goodbye Kurt.

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (November 11, 1922 – April 11, 2007)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut

Another very gifted writer has passed away, Kurt Vonnegut Jr..
I somehow have an affinity for Canadians (or canadian pseudo-emigres) and I don't know why.

On my various blogs I've mentioned a couple of others that have "made sense" to me. Marshal Mcluan, because the Media IS the Message, and William Gibson because Machines Will someday have a Soul (the soul of their creator).

Player Piano, a story by Vonnegut, is a phrase I like alot. Today's version of that idea (to me) is the iPod. And Vonnegut had some of his Best stories turned into some interesting movies that were quirky, yet thought provoking.

Movies like Slaughterhouse-five, Mother Night and Breakfast of Champions.

One of his short story collections was titled: Welcome to the Monkey House.

*** A personal pastiche of Kurt.

I don't know if all that's true. Parts of it most certaintly are, but not all. I can still hear the piano playing in the background, and nobody is touching the keys.

The song sounds familiar but I know for a fact I've never heard it before. Must be a primordial memory.

Maybe a musical shadow that passed over me in my youth.


Just like Kurt.
***

No comments: